The nose has a massive impact on the aesthetic harmony of your face. Too small, too broad, or too large can alter the appearance of your face drastically. But you don’t need to worry, there’s a fix if you want to alter the shape of your nose. Rhinoplasty is the surgery that is performed on your nose to alter the shape by modifying the bone and/or the cartilage.
What exactly is a Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is to improve facial symmetry and balance your facial features by performing surgery on the nose. It is also performed for medical reasons to address structural imperfections in the nose that cause difficulty in breathing.
You may want to consider nose surgery if you’re going to achieve one or more of the following purposes:
- Removing a bump on your nose.
- Revising the bridge of your nose.
- Reshaping your nostrils that are huge, broad, or tilted.
- Increasing or decreasing the size of your nose to have a better balance of your facial features.
- Lengthening or shortening the nose.
- Lifting up of a droopy nose tip.
- Refining the nose tip if it’s too bulky.
- Correcting the nasal symmetry.
- Restoring your nose after an injury.
- Correcting a shifted septum resulting in breathing problems or chronic sinus infections. This procedure is known as septoplasty, and it’s usually done with a nose job.
Points to remember while selecting a Rhinoplasty surgeon:
When considering your Perth plastic surgeon for rhinoplasty, please consider:
- Surgical skill and expertise with both open or closed nose surgery techniques.
- Credentials of your surgeon (Fellow of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons)
- Surgery at a properly accredited facility e.g., a hospital
Things to expect during your nose rhinoplasty consultation
If you are having a rhinoplasty nose surgery consultation, make sure you discuss:
- Your surgical plans, concerning both the look and breathing.
- Your medical essentials, drug allergies and earlier medical treatments.
- Existing medications, vitamins, alcohol, tobacco and drug use.
- Your past surgeries.
Your nose rhinoplasty surgeon may also:
- Consider your general health situation or risk factors.
- Provide you with alternatives available to you for nose reshaping.
- Review and measure your face.
- Take photographs.
- Discuss your nose surgery options.
- Recommend a course of treatment.
- Discuss possible outcomes of the nose surgery and the risks or possible complications.
- Make sure to consider everything on the internet with scepticism.
While social media accounts of patients can be a great help, they can also be a basis for misinformation. A client may use anonymous reviews and ratings (predominantly negative ones) that aim revenge or promote their agenda rather than share facts and personal experiences with other potential clients.
- Check the qualifications of each of your selected doctors.
Have you found a few options for your Rhinoplasty surgery? Fantastic. Before meeting or coming face-to-face with them, make sure they check off all of the essential checkboxes that tell you they’re fully qualified to perform your nose job procedure.
What should I expect while in recovery?
It would be best if you took one to two weeks off from work. It is sometimes difficult to easily breathe through the nose when it’s healing because splints are positioned inside the nose to keep the septum straight. Swelling peaks on the third day and eventually decreases, and bruising is expected under the eyes.
For a week after surgery, you’ll be asked to wear a small cast or splint on your nose to cover it, which will eventually reduce swelling.
After one week, the cast and splints will be removed. Avoid intense sports activities for six weeks, and within two weeks after Rhinoplasty surgery, you should be back to your regular routine.
You’ll presumably heal fast during the first month; complete recovery may take about a year.
Looking for the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Perth?
At West Coast Plastic Surgery, we thrive to provide the best possible experience for you. Having surgery can be stressful for most of us. We will create an environment where you will feel most comfortable and therefore be an active participant in the decision-making process. It is crucial to know that although ideal aesthetic standards of beauty and proportion have been described, each patient has unique plans and desires, and our goal is to achieve the nose you want.